10 and 12 Church Road Stevington
10 and 12 Church Road December 2008
10 and 12 Church Road were listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the cottages to the 17th and 18th centuries. Like many older buildings in the area they are constructed of coursed limestone rubble. They stand gable end on to the road. Number 10 has two storeys and Number 12 one with attics and both have a thatched roof. The department, rather dismissively noted: "Rear one storey roughcast and pantiled extension not of special interest".
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 10 Church Road [DV1/C144/6] noted that it stood further back from the road than Number 12 and was owned and occupied by H. Corby. The property comprised a parlour, living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet stood outside as did a scullery lean-to.
Number 12 was owned and occupied by J. Bowyer and comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms above. Again, a barn and earth closet stood outside. The valuer considered the property "poor".