Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stanford > Stanford School in 1904

Stanford School in 1904

The former Stanford School in September 2007
The former Stanford School in September 2007

Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor reported in the format set out below.

This is a very substantial brick and tile structure, well lighted, airy, and lofty, in good condition, bright and pelasing.

The windows have transom lights that open beside gable inlets.

The attendance here is very small, so that air space is very ample.

School Room 29 feet 6 inches by 17 feet 6 inches.

Ventilation is quite sufficient.

Heating by a large open fireplace.

Fresh air rarified by a Manchester grate.

Cloak Room

This is a good size, and very ample.

Water Supply

This is by a pump well clear of all buildings.

Offices

These are strong, lofty, and airy, but are common privies. They are too near the School to be free from unpleasant possibilities. A small cost would convert these three Closets and Urinal into earth disinfecting offices.

External Repairs

No external repairs are necessary here.

Yard gravel needs re-adjusting to prevent water running into the cloak room; and rectify drain accordingly.