Ivy Farm Stanbridge
Ivy Farm from the road December 2008
Ivy Farm is the site of the late medieval Manor of Stanbridge Morteynes alias Reynes. In actual fact it would be more correct to call it a sub-manor, as it was held of the Manor of Stanbridge. The sub-manor was first recorded in the 16th century and last in 1786. The farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 17th century and was refronted in the early 18th century with grey brick with red brick dressings. The house has two storeys and an old clay tile roof. The weather boarded barns outside date to the 19th century and a covered farmyard adjoins the house.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Stanbridge was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Green Farm noted that Ivy Farm was owned and occupied by Mrs.Arthur Bunker [Florence], as was Green Farm and the valuer assessed them both together [DV1/H28/28]. The land contained 130 acres. He noted of Ivy Farmhouse: "House 500 [sic] years old. Oak beams, kept well, water shortage for house. Nice house. Splendid homestead". The brick and house comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen, dairy and washhouse, store room and coal place with four bedrooms and a small room on the first floor.
Ivy Farm homestead comprised: a weather boarded and corrugated iron cow house for eight, a loose box and a feeding hovel ["all poor"]; a piggery; a large feeding hovel; a brick wood and corrugated iron four bay open cart shed; a weather boarded and corrugated iron loose box with a loft over; a stable for four; a brick and tile mixing place with a granary over; a weather boarded and tiled trap house and a large covered yard with corrugated iron roof.