Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stanbridge > Corner Farm Stanbridge

Corner Farm Stanbridge

Corner Farm December 2008
Corner Farm December 2008

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Stanbridge was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Corner Farm [DV1/H28/44] noted that it was owned and occupied by Ernest F.Cleaver, who had bought the house, premises and six acres from Bedfordshire County Council in 1921 for £700 and a further forty eight acres in 1923 for £960. The valuer commented, making things crystal clear: "Occupier was Beds C.C. smallholder. Bought small holding and some more land". He also noted: "House been added to since he bought. Nice house, small homestead".

The "nice" brick and slate house comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and cellar with three bedrooms on the first floor and a coal bar outside. The homestead comprised: a weather boarded and slated two bay open cart shed, a cow house for four beasts and a hen house; a brick and slate stable for two; a weather boarded and slated barn with a loft over part; a weather boarded and corrugated iron trap shed; at the rear two weather boarded and corrugated iron lean-to piggeries and a two bay open shed; a range of weather boarded and corrugated iron hen houses and four loose boxes.