40 Tilsworth Road Stanbridge
40 Tilsworth Road, Laurel Cottage, December 2008
In 1883 Potash Farm and other properties of the late Thomas Twidell was put up for sale by auction, amongst the various lots, Lot 8 was: "The Ploughing, 33 acres of arable". Three years later the same properties were again put up for sale on the death of the buyer, Eliza Buckmaster [BML10/67/15]. Lot 8 was then described as: "An eligible plot of freehold garden or building land, planted with Apple and Prune Fruit Trees, and situate abutting on the road from Stanbridge to Tilsworth, to which it has a frontage of about 92 feet, an average depth of about 124 feet, and containing 1 rood or thereabouts". This lot was bought by a Mr.Johnson for £65.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Stanbridge was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the old Lot 8 discovered that it had, indeed, been built upon as 40 Tilsworth Road now stood there [DV1/C97/136]. It was then owned and occupied by W.Olney and stood in a quarter of an acre of land.
The valuer described the property as brick and slate constructed and detached. It comprised three living rooms and a kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms and a box room above. A brick and slate coalshed and W.C. stood outside. The entry has the note: "30.12.27 Agric. Dwelling House".