2 Peddars Lane Stanbridge
The former Handy Shop at 2 Peddars Lane June 2008
2 Peddars Lane was once a shop. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting this property [DV1/C97/130] noted that it was owned by F.E.G.Dawe and comprised: a living room; a scullery; a shop measuring 12 feet by 14 feet; three bedrooms; a weather boarded and corrugated iron garage; a coalshed and an earth closet. The place was known as the Handy Shop and the valuer noted: "modern".
Kelly's Directory for 1928 lists Frederick Ernest Dawe as a hardware dealer in the village. He appears in that role until 1940, the last directory published for Bedfordshire.