The Ship Inn Shefford
Possible site of the Ship Inn February 2008
Ship Inn: High Street, Shefford
This inn is only known from one reference in the archive of the Robert Lucas Feoffment Estate of Shefford. In 1722 the feoffees leased it to John Wells of Shefford, apothecary for 21 years at £6 per annum, rent. The property is described as: "a cottage or tenement with appurtenances adjoining the Chapel in Shefford known by the sign of the Ship and now occupied by John Wells". The chapel mentioned is now St.Michael's church which puts the Ship either west of the church, in the vicinity of the later Osborn Arms or on the other, east side.