Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shefford > The Horse and Jockey Public House Shefford

The Horse and Jockey Public House Shefford

Horse & Jockey Public House: Ampthill Road, Shefford

This public house is only known from one reference in the Greene King archive held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service. In 1844 Samuel Wilson of Clifton, brewer, borrowed £1,000 from John Brown of Langford, gentleman and part of his security was a "public house called the Horse & Jockey, Shefford with garden belonging, now and for some time past in occupation of Edward Roberts". The exact location is not given but the inn is grouped with two cottages on the north side of Ampthill Road and so may have been in the same place.

Edward Roberts occurs in directories as a beer retailer between 1839 and 1850.