Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Salford > List of Hulcote and Salford Rectors

List of Hulcote and Salford Rectors

The font January 2011
The font January 2011

Salford was united with Hulcote as a single parish under a single clergyman on 25th June 1750. the folliwing is a list of Rectors of the parish of Hulcote with Salford since that time. 

  • Edward Hervey: he had been Vicar of Salford from 1746 and Rector of Hulcote from 1747;
  • Edward Orlebar Smith M. A.: on the resignation of Edward Hervey: 19th December 1782;

Edward Orlebar Smith - a photograph in the vestry
Edward Orlebar Smith - a photograph in ther vestry

  • Edward Orlebar Smith M. A.: on the cession of Edward Orlebar Smith; inducted 2nd July 1790 to be Rector of Bletchley [Buckinghamshire]; was also Rector of Bradenham [Buckinghamshire]: 10th December 1790;

Boteler Chernocke Smith - a photograph in the vestry
Boteler Chernocke Smith - a photograph in the vestry

  • Boteler Chernocke Smith B. A.: on the death of Edward Orlebar Smith: 8th December 1865;
  • Richard Curtis Folliott Scott: November 1898;

Richard Curtis Folliott Scott - a photograph in the vestry
Richard Curtis Folliott Scott - a photograph in the vestry

Hulcote and Salford held in plurality with Ridgmont from 1939

  • Irwin Frost Smith: November 1939;
  • Edgar Richards: September 1943;
  • Alan Wilkinson: May 1949;
  • John Henry Seymour Spread: November 1949;
  • Charles Edward Standen: 1953;

Hulcote and Salford held in plurality with Cranfield since 1961

John Brown - a photograph in the vestry
John Brown - a photograph in the vestry

  • John William Brown: 1961;
  • Derek Henry Hunt: 1978;
  • Hugh K. Symes-Thompson: 1995

Hulcote with Salford has been held in plurality with Cranfield since 1961. The two parishes share a parson but maintain their own separate parochial church councils and parish officers.

The pulpit January 2011
The pulpit january 2011

Ecclesiastical Census

On Sunday 30th March 1851 a census of all churches, chapels and preaching-houses of every denomination was undertaken in England and Wales. The local results were published by Bedfordshire Historical Records Society in 1975 as Volume 54, edited by D. W. Bushby. The return for Salford church was made by the registrar, John Dexter, who noted the following pieces of information:

  • Sittings 125;
  • General congregation 80 in the morning;
  • Sunday scholars 45 in the morning;
  • "As regards the Sunday School the same children attend Holcot as does Salford, they being so near, and only one service in the Day at each Place"