18 and 20 Broughton Road Salford
All that can be seen of 18 and 20 from Broughton Road January 2011
18 and 20 Broughton Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in February 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the pair of cottages to the 18th century. The structure is timber framed though parts of Number 18 have been replaced with brick. Both have colourwashed render on the ground floor and weather-boarding on the first floor. The rood is thatched and the cottages comprise two storeys. There is a small single storey addition to the west wall of Number 20 which is shown as a post office on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1901. Kelly's Directory for Bedfordshire for 1903 gives the postmistress as Hannah Gardner
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 18 and 20 Broughton Road [DV1/C57/8-9] found that both were owned by AllSoulsCollege, Oxford, which, as Lord of the Manor, owned a considerable part of the village.
Number 18 was occupied by James Boon. He paid rent of £3/19/- per annum; this had been £2/15/- per annum before the Great War. His accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms above. A washhouse, coal barn and earth closet stood outside. Water came from a well and there was no electricity, lighting being by lamps. The valuer commented: "Fairly good thatched cottage" and "Wood but nice".
Next door was in the occupation of Thomas Cooper who paid rent of 3/7½ per week for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms with a coal barn, washhouse and earth closet outside. Again, there was no electricity and water came from a well. The valuer could not help commenting: "Sweet Peas in bloom 31/5/27".