Park Cottage - 58 High Street Roxton
58 High Street in 1960 [Z53/97/20]
58 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century. The cottage is constructed of colourwashed plaster over a timber frame, on a colour washed brick plinth. The thatched roof is half-hipped and the building comprises one storey and attics. A projecting block of one storey and attics with slated roof lies at the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of Bedfordshire, Roxton was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 58 High Street, then numbered 20The Village [DV1/C198/93] found it owned by Fred Bath of Roxton Park and occupied by T. Harker who paid rent of £12 per annum. Bath’s ownership might suggest that the cottage was, like Roxton Park, earlier owned by the Manor of Roxton, if so it might have been built by a previous Lord of the Manor, or acquired later.
The detached plaster and thatch and plaster and tiled building stood in just under a rood. Accommodation comprised a living room, a parlour and a kitchen with three bedrooms above. A plaster and thatched barn and washhouse stood outside.
Park Cottage - 58 High Street March 2010