60 High Street in 1960 [Z53/97/21]
60 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is of timber framed construction with colour washed plaster infill, a thatched
roof and two storeys.
It may once have been two properties. This is suggested by a sale particular of 1826 of property put up for sale by auction by a man named Smitty. Lot 1 was described thus [WG2462]: “Two Freehold COTTAGES situate at Roxton aforesaid, adjoining to each other and to the Chequers Public House, with the Yard, garden, and Outbuildings thereto belonging, late in the Occupation of James Ayres and Widow Burridge”. Sadly the particulars are not annotated with the name of the purchaser
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of Bedfordshire, Roxton was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Park Villa, as 60 High Street was then called [DV1/C198/92] found it owned and occupied by Mrs. E. Infield. Her accommodation comprised a living room, a parlour, a kitchen and three bedrooms above. The valuer considered the cottage: “Nice”.
60 High Street March 2010