46 and 48 High Street Roxton
46 and 48 High Street March 2010
46 and 48 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the pair of cottages to the 18th century. They are built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame, with a hipped, thatched roof, one storey and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of Bedfordshire, Roxton was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 46 and 48 High Street [DV1/C198/9-100] found them owned by the trustees of James Bogle Delap, late Lord of the Manor. The Lord of the Manor may have built the cottages originally, before about 1737 this would have been a member of the Delawne family, after that a member of the Metcalfe family, or the manorial estate may have purchased the cottages subsequently.
Number 46 was occupied by J. Clarke who paid 1/8 per week in rent. His accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms. The valuer commented: “One Bedroom downstairs and one up, one Bed in next house over this – not measured”.
Number 48 was occupied by W. Darlow whose rent was £5/3/- per annum. He had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.