Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Ridgmont > Ridgmont Church Alterations and Additions

Ridgmont Church Alterations and Additions

The church from the north-west January 2011
The church from the north-west January 2011

Ridgmont Church remains very similar today [2012] to when it was consecrated in 1855. Naturally occasional repairs have taken place over the years. In 1886 tiles on the chancel roof were in need of repair [ABE3]. In 1903 the west face of the tower needed re-pointing [P43/8/1]. The seating was altered in 1905 [P43/8/1]. The spire was repaired in 1932 [P43/5/5] and again in 1993 and late in the 20th century the church was re-roofed.

The font June 2011
The font June 2011

A clock was placed in the tower in 1892. The original font was the one brought from Segenhoe. This was returned in 1904 and was later vandalised and smashed to pieces. The present font commemorates Annie Ruth Lomax who died in 1893.  

Wooden reredos June 2011
Wooden reredos June 2011

A carved wooden reredos may have been the work of the carvery, run by Miss Crouch which opened about 1890.

East window of the north aisle June 2011
East window of the north aisle June 2011

A stained glass window was installed in the north aisle east window in 1928 [P43/2/2/2].