Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Ridgmont > 61 High Street Ridgmont

61 High Street Ridgmont

61 to 65 High Street about 1900 [Z50/95/19]
61 to 65 High Street about 1900 [Z50/95/19]

61 High Street is a handsome building. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in February1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century "possibly reworking an earlier structure". It is built of red brick with chequerwork patterning in vitrified headers and has a clay tiled roof. It comprises two storeys and attics and stands gable end on to the road. The rear gable end has a 19th century single-storeyed block adjoining with a slate roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 61 High Street [DV1/C54/80] found that it was, like much of Ridgmont, owned by the Duke of Bedford. It was leased by A. Norris for £12 per annum.

The house contained two reception rooms, a kitchen and a scullery with two bedrooms on the first floor and an attic above that. Outside stood a coal barn, a wood barn, an earth closet and a timber and corrugated iron cycle shed. The valuer commented: "Very good".

61 High Street January 2011
61 High Street January 2011