19 and 21 Bedford Road Northill
19 and 21 Bedford Road April 2009
In 1910 a thorough rating valuation was carried out across England as part of David Lloyd-George’s pioneering 1909 budget. The survey was so thorough it was known colloquially as the Domesday Survey. The results show that all the older buildings in Northill were owned by John Edmund Audley Harvey, who, though he lived in London, was Lord of the Manor of Manor of Northill as well as Lord of the Manor of Ickwell and owner of Ickwell Bury. These buildings may have been built by a former Lord of the Manor or bought by the Manor at a later stage – detailed research of the Harvey [HY] archive would be needed to try to establish this in each case, unless the current owners still have the deeds to the properties concerned and so can research the history for themselves.
19 and 21 Bedford Road were listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the properties to the late 18th and 19th centuries. They have a timber framed construction with colour washed brick infill, the elevation facing the road having been re-cased in colour washed brick. They have 20th century tiled roofs. A 19th century single storey, slate roofed block has been attached to the north gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the properties [DV1/C44/125-126] found Number 9 [now Number 19] owned and occupied by Wilfred Course, who also owned 13-17 Bedford Road. His accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A “good” washhouse, scullery and bathroom lay outside “Independent of house” along with an old bakehouse. Mains water as laid on to the scullery. The valuer also noted a “tin and corrugated iron BuildersBuilding complete with workshop”.
Number 11 (now Number 21) [DV1/C44/126] was owned and occupied by Frederick Stokes and had a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms. An earth closet, stable, wood barn and coal barn lay outside. There was a small but “good” garden and water came from an outside tap.
19 and 21 Bedford Road March 2010