Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > MiltonErnest > Stone Cottage Milton Ernest

Stone Cottage Milton Ernest

Stone Cottage in Flewton End is in quite an isolated spot, some way from Thurleigh Road. It was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century, though modernised and extended, and has a date stone in a gable end with the initials RTM and 1669. The initials are the same as those on a date stone for 1670 on Village Farmhouse. Stone Cottage built of coursed limestone rubble and comprises one storey and attics beneath a modern clay tiled roof. Two of the original rooms share a back-to-back hearth. There is a modern flat-roofed extension.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every building and piece of land in the country had to be assessed for its rateable value. The valuer visiting Stone Cottage [DV1/A15/21a] found it owned by Mrs. Verey and occupied by H. A. Linger, who worked for her since the valuer noted: "Rent in wages". The building comprised a living room, a kitchen and a washhouse with two bedrooms upstairs. The valuer commented: "Old Cottage next door used for Barn. water from well nearby (Good)".