Bedford Estate Cottages in Milton Bryan
The Dukes of Bedford built numerous estate cottages in the various parishes in which they owned land from the mid 19th century into the 20th century. There were a number of different types but all are instantly recognisable as Bedford Estates properties. There are four pairs in Milton Bryan
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages at Milton Bryan found the following information.
22 and 23 Church End February 2012
22 and 23 Church End [DV1/C261/5-6] are very different from the normal Bedford Estate cottages and resemble nothing so much as a 17th century farmhouse. Number 22 was occupied by Henry Smith and Number 23 by Levi Creamer, both paid rent of 17/4 per quarter. Their accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with three bedrooms above. Outside each stood the ubiquitous brick and tiled barn and earth closet.
24 and 25 Church End February 2012
24 and 25 Church End [DV1/C261/3-4] are more traditional Bedford Estate cottages and were built in 1906. Number 24 was tenanted by John Creamer and Number 25 by Leonard Holmes, both paying rent of 2/1 per week. Their accommodation was a living room, kitchen, pantry and washhouse downstairs with three bedrooms above. A brick and tiled barn and earth closet stood outside each.
26 and 27 Church End February 2012
26 and 27 Church End [DV1/C261/1-2] were identical to numbers 24 and 25 and were built a year earlier. Number 26 was occupied by James Hyde and Number 27 by G. J. Groom. Again, rent was 2/1 per week each.
14 and 15 South End February 2012
14 and 15 South End [DV1/C261/25-26] were, again, identical to Numbers 24 and 25 Church End but built earlier, in 1868. Number 14 was in the occupation of T. A. B. Caress, rent 27/1 per quarter and Number 15 of Mrs. G. J. Creamer, rent 2/6 per week.