Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > LittleBarford > North Lodge Little Barford

North Lodge Little Barford

North Lodge February 2010
North Lodge February 2010

North Lodge was built, presumably, at the same time as The New Manor House at Little Barford which is first shown on the tithe apportionment map of 1840. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for North Lodge [HER 12333] reads: "19th century Entrance Lodge to New Manor. 1 storey plus attics. Twin gabled roofs with gabled projecting dormer window to road. 1 storey flat roofed extension to opposite end. Gabled porch and gabled bay window to ground floor. 2 chimney stacks”.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the North Lodge [DV1/C256/28] found that it had a parlour and kitchen with two bedrooms and was occupied by a man named Tutty.