Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > LittleBarford > 5 and 6 The Village Little Barford

5 and 6 The Village Little Barford

 5 and 6 Little Barford February 2010
5 and 6 Little Barford February 2010

Four pairs of attractive and comparatively modern houses greet one as one drives into Little Barford from the A428. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 5 and 6 The Village [HER 9899] reads: “Pair of 19th century Estate Cottages. Yellow brick with red brick dressings. Hipped banded tile roof. One storey and attics. Two large gabled dormers each containing two single-light casements with painted arches and diamond leaded panes. Three ground floor casements, one with glazing bars”.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 5 and 6 The Village [DV1/C256/6-7] found them owned by Lord of the Manor Charles Edmund Argentine Alington.

Number 5 was occupied by H. Staughton and Number 6 by S. Mace, both tenants paying three shillings per week in rent. Both dwellings comprised a parlour, living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. Both tenants had a barn and shared a washhouse. The valuer commented: “Beds in roof”.