Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > The White Horse Public House Linslade

The White Horse Public House Linslade

The White Horse June 2008
The White Horse June 2008

White Horse Public House: 9 New Road, Linslade

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service is not rich with information on Linslade licensed premises; owing to the fact that Linslade was in Buckinghamshire until 1965, no licensing records before that date are held by the service. The service has very little information on the White Horse but it was presumably built around the 1840s or 1850s as the small settlement of Chelsea expanded with the arrival of the London and North Western railway in 1838.

Sign on the wall of the White Horse October 2008
Sign on the wall of the White Horse October 2008

References:

  • Z1105/1: Liquor Licence Traders Survey form: 1962  

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:

1847-1851: Thomas Fall, beerseller;
1861-1864: William Dell, bricklayer and victualler;
1869-1881: William Field, licensed victualler;
1891-1899: Samuel Pearson, innkeeper;
1901: Stewart McKee, licensed victualler;
1903-1907: James O'Meara;
1911: Charles
B.Ruse;
1915-1925: Harry
Dunmall;
1928-1931:
F.G.Tolman;
1935-1939: Harry Bathurst;
1967: Gaius John Fairey;
1977: Peter Albert James Shakespeare;
1982: Peter Harvey Layfield;
1983: Patrick James Mansfield;
1985: Kenneth Ricketts