Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > The Globe Public House Old Linslade

The Globe Public House Old Linslade

The Globe Inn about 1900
The Globe Inn about 1900 [Z1306/74]

Globe Public House: Globe Lane, Old Linslade.

The Globe was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. The Department considered that it dates from the 18th century and is built of whitewashed brick with an old tiled roof. It seems likely it was the last year or two of the 18th century as the Grand Union Canal, on the bank of which it stands, was opened, as the Grand Junction Canal, in 1800.

The first document held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service to mention the Globe, other than directories and censuses, is a sale particular of 1885 [BML10/44/21]. The establishment is described as: "…the OLD-ESTABLISHED BEER-HOUSE, known as THE GLOBE, together with TWO ENCLOSURES of PASTURE LAND, and a PLOT of GARDEN GROUND, the whole situate abutting on the Grand Junction Canal, in the parish of Old Linslade, Bucks., about One-and-a-half Miles from the capital Market Town of Leighton Buzzard….brick-built, tiled, and slated, having on the ground floor, parlour, tap-room, kitchen, and pantry, with four bed-rooms over. Adjoining the House is a boarded and tiled stable, with loft over, adjoining which is an ENCLOSURE of capital well-watered PASTURE LAND". The instructions for sale pf the beerhouse came from Thomas Swinstead, showing that the Spiers family, publicans from at least 1851 to at least 1899 were tenants. The property was valued at £680 but did not sell.

It seems as if the Globe became a fully licensed public house at some point between 1935 and 1939 as it is definitely described as a public house in the latter Kelly's Directory for Buckinghamshire not the former.

 Globe Public House May 2008
The Globe Public House May 2008

References:

  • BML10/44/21: sale particulars: 1885;
  • Z465/5: photograph: c.1890;
  • Z50/72/177: photograph: 1930s;
  • Z50/72/178: photograph: 1960s;
  • Z1105/1: liquor licence traders survey form: 1962;
  • Z851/10/9: photograph: c.1970  

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:

1847: William Honour, beer retailer;
1851: Joshua Spiers, publican and gardener, land 9 acres;
1881: Ann Spiers, publican;
1891: Joshua Spiers, beer retailer;
1901: Mary Ann Smith, public house caretaker;
1903: Frederick Spiers, beer retailer;
1907: Alfred Sayell, beer retailer;
1935: Annie Sayell, beer retailer in 1935;
1966: Frank Charles Muir and Patricia Gwen Muir;
1968: Edward Woodrow Bird;
1973: John Robert Hambidge;
1981: Simon William Wilson;
1986: Stephen Peter Rogers;
1987: Raymond Martin Houghton;
1989: Juan Vidal;
1989: Leslie Victor Blinco and Nigel Chandler;
1990: James Campbell and Antonio Enrico Giaura;
1990: Andrew Morris;
1990: Andrew Morris and James Campbell;
1991: David George Kirkup;
1991: James Campbell and David George Kirkup;
1993: Clive George;
1993: James Campbell and Clive George.