Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > List of Linslade Vicars

List of Linslade Vicars

Saint Barnabas window in choir vestry October 2008
Saint Barnabas window in the choir vestry October 2008

The advowson was held by the Lords of the Manor of Linslade and in 1199 Simon de Beauchamp gave it to Chicksands Priory, which had been founded by his parents, Payn and Roais de Beauchamp. The priory was still patron of the living, then valued at £8, in 1535.

font at Saint Barnabas October 2008
Font at Saint Barnabas October 2008

On the dissolution of the religious houses by Henry VIII the advowson passed to the Lords of the Manor. In 1864 the advowson passed to the Bishop of Oxford who held it until Linslade was transferred into the Diocese of St.Albans in 2008.

The following list of vicars for the parish of Linslade gives the date of institution: 

  • Henry: 1247;
  • Richard de Hargrave 1272;
  • Hugh de Hargrave: 1273;
  • Jeffrey de Hargrave: 1319;
  • John de Hambleden: 1350;
  • William Baudewyn: 1353;
  • Hugh Baudewyn: 1366;
  • Nicholas Aghton: 1404;
  • Henry Haselys: 1408;
  • Walter Paigne: 1421;
  • William Newport: 1458;
  • Richard Upton: 1459;
  • Peter Lawles: 1461;
  • Thomas Compton: 1465;
  • John Atoun: 1480;
  • Robert Pearson: 1525;
  • Peter Husband: 1530;
  • John Davis: 1553;
  • Morgan Griffith: 1597;
  • Peter Mortimer: 1616;
  • Humphrey Lloyd: 1617;
  • Henry Lloyd: 1629;
  • William Vaughan: 1635;
  • Edward Hargrave: 1664;
  • John Barton: 1710;
  • Martin Hall: 1711;
  • John Roe: 1713;
  • William Whipp: 1716;
  • Thomas Snow: 1720;
  • John White: 1733;
  • Owen Gough: 1767;
  • Hugh Davies: 1784;
  • George Burd: 1815;
  • Jan Main: 1820;
  • Benjamin R.Perkins: 1826;
  • Peter T.Ouvry: 1847;
  • Arthur Willink: 1850, born 1824, Lanarkshire;
  • W.Esdaile Richardson: 1853;
  • H.Atkinson Gibson: 1861;
  • (John Shearme and Albert Channing Abdy, curates in Linslade 1871);
  • Elgood G.Punchard: 1880;
  • (Erskine W.Larymore curate in Linslade 1881)
  • Arthur Johnson: 1883;
  • C.Dendy Blackiston: 1884;
  • Charles E.Dandridge: 1889;
  • Douglas Hurst-Jones: 1907 (curate in 1891);
  • William S.Mahony: 1911;
  • Lionel E.Lydekker: 1920;
  • Wyndham Edgar: 1951;
  • Ernest J.Rumens: 1962;
  • Frank E.Lewis: 1966;
  • R.Geoffrey M.Russell: 1974;
  • Michael J.Peel: 1987;
  • Colin G.Mattock: 1996;
  • Catherine J.Dyer: 2001;
  • Bernard J.Minton: 2008.

Mothers Union vexillum October 2008  Saint Barnabas Pulpit October 2008
Mother's Union vexillum and Saint Barnabas pulpit October 2008

The parish of Linslade ecame part of the Ouzel Team Ministry and therefore part of the Diocese of St.Albans in 2008.