Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > Leighton Linslade House Old Road Linslade

Leighton Linslade House Old Road Linslade

Leighton Linslade House October 2008
Leighton Linslade House October 2008

This handsome property next to the site of the Elephant and Castle Hotel was known as Linslade Hall and also Leighton Linslade House. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has a tenancy agreement between the London North Western Railway Company and Henry Guest 1895 for £76 per annum [BML10/44/119], he left in 1909. The premise were described as "ALL that messuage or tenement, garden and premises with the appurtenances situate and being at Leighton Buzzard [sic] together with two stable yards and buildings comprising coach house, harness room, seven loose boxes, one washing box, two lofts, manure deposit and shed”.

The 1901 census reveals the following servants at the property, the family, obviously, being away:

  • Annie Wright, 35, widow, domestic housekeeper, born in Winterslow [Wiltshire];
  • Ada Rose, 19, general servant, born in Wing [Buckinghamshire]

Kelly's Directory for 1939 lists the Misses Spiers as "proprietresses".

Leighton Linslade Hall ground floor plan 1918 Z229-11 
Leighton Linslade Hall ground floor plan 1918 [Z229] to see a larger image please click on the image above.