Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Linslade > 40 and 42 New Road Linslade

40 and 42 New Road Linslade

40 and 42 New Road October 2008
40 and 42 New Road October 2008

40 and 42 New Road were listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. They were built in the early 19th century as Linslade expanded, firstly as a result of the Grand Union Canal (1800) then the London and North western railway (1838) running through the town. The buildings are constructed of brick with a stucco exterior and have hipped Welsh slated roofs. Number 42 has the remains of a shop front as it was a baker's shop during much of the 20th century, run by Albert Deeley.

Both 40 and 42 were owned by George Chandler until his death and were put up for sale by auction by his executors in 1938 [BML10/44/63]. Number 40 was described as:

"…a Brick, Stucco and Slated DWELLING HOUSE being Number 40 New Road, and containing: -

On the Ground Floor

  • ENTRANCE PASSAGE.
  • FRONT SITTING ROOM with tiled grate.
  • LOBBY, KITCHEN with oven range.
  • SCULLERY with copper and sink, good CELLAR and W.C.

On the First Floor:

  • THREE BEDROOMS, two having fireplaces.
  • Outside is a small yard and cycle shed.

This part of the property is let to Mr.J.W.Willis, a weekly tenant, at a rental amounting to £22 2 shillings per annum.

Number 42 is described as: "a brick, stucco and slated House, Shop and Bakery, being Number 42 New Road, containing: -

On the Ground Floor:

  • GOOD SHOP, 16 feet 6 inches by 14 feet.
  • SITTING ROOM with tiled fireplace.
  • LARDER, KITCHEN with oven range.
  • SCULLERY with sink and cellar.
  • BAKEHOUSE with 6 bushel oven and loft.

On the First Floor:

  • THREE BEDROOMS, two having fireplaces.

Outside is a small yard, fuel store and W.C. This part of the Lot is let to Mr.A.E.Deeley, a yearly tenant, at a rental of £52 per annum including the use of a Garage in the Stabling described later".

The garage, stabling etc. is described as: "At the rear (of the above-mentioned houses) is a YARD with STABLING and BUILDINGS, with entrance from New Road and extending to Old Road. The premises comprise a Brick-and-slated Building containing two stalls, two boxes and garage (occupied by Mr.Deeley), a corrugated iron two-bay open shed, a timber and corrugated iron open shed with loft over, two other store sheds and a good yard. The total area being about 342 square yards".

Plan of 40 and 42 New Road in 1938
Plan of 40 and 42 New Road in 1938 [BML10/44/63]

Both houses comprising the lot were withdrawn from the sale. The lot was then sold privately to Albert E.Deeley, the baker, for £1,100.

The 1901 census records the following occupants:

40 New Road:

  • William Mabbutt, 59, house decorator, born in Linslade;
  • Elizabeth Mabbutt, wife, 53, born in Milton Ernest;
  • Florence G.Mabbutt, daughter, 27, dressmaker, born in Linslade;
  • Agnes Maud Mabbutt, daughter, 24, dressmaker, born in Linslade;
  • Henry W.R.S.Mabbutt, visitor, 26, nursery yard foreman, born in Shenley [Hertfordshire]

42 New Road:

  • George Langford, 46, baker and confectioner, born in Britwell [Oxfordshire];
  • Edna Langford, wife, 50, born in Lambeth [Surrey];
  • John SImon Arthur, servant, 22, journeyman baker, born in Kilburn [Middlesex].