Pulford's School in 1901 buildings in red
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements.The surveyor reported in the format shown below
These buildings are of sandstone, with brick dressings and tiled roofs, of good design, and very substantial. They are very ornate, the roofs are expensively wrought, and very lofty, and are quite open. The rooms are well lighted, the centre lights being made to open
Tobin Tunes and Exhaust Ventilators would be an improvement for winter.
The only repairs needed are cleaning and colouring of walls.
This measures 50 feet by 24 feet.
The stained and varnished work is good above dado, the lower portion needs touching up.
This is the same size, but is subdivided by wooden partition into two rooms measuring 30 feet by 24 feet and 20 feet by 24 feet.
The walls here also need cleaning and colouring.
These comprise five water-closets of Duckett's automatic flush type. They are built up and approached by steps to secure a proper fall for drains. They are in good working order, as is also the urinal. These, with Barns, need whitening and repairs to walls and roofs.
Lobby: Slate roof needs restoring.
Water Supply is from the Town Mains.
Coal Barns are provided.
The Master's house comprises as follows: -
Hall and Stairs 12 feet by 6 feet.
Parlour 14 feet by 12 feet
Sitting Room 13 feet by 11 feet
Kitchen 10 feet by 8 feet 6 inches
Scullery 8 feet 6 inches by 8 feet
The Chamber Floor has rooms over each of the above rooms.
The whole is in very fair order, no immediate repairs are necessary.