Knotting Green Cottages
1-4 Knotting Green Cottages April 2015
Knotting Green Cottages August 1987 were built by the Lord of the Manor, the Duke of Bedford, in 1861. The terrace of four typical Bedford Estate dwellings is built of red brick with old clay tiled roofs . There are entrances at the side and at the front, where the front doors have been repositioned.
The ownership of the cottages mirrored that of Knotting Green Farm until well into the 20th century. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Knotting Green Cottages [DV1/C1/23-28] found that they were owned by Joseph Pike of Knotting Green Farm.
The details of the six cottages, from north to south were as follows:
- Occupier F Clark, rent three shillings per week since 1923, he worked at Strawberry Hill Farm; accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and three bedrooms with a brick and tiled barn and earth closet outside. The valuer commented: “Good block. Well built”.
- Occupier F B Wrench, rent 2/4 per week from 1926. His accommodation was a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms with a barn and earth closet outside. Water came from a tap at the rear of the property.
- Occupier L Harbour, whose rent was 2/4 per week, fixed in 1923. He worked at Strawberry Hill Farm. His accommodation was identical to that of F B Wrench
- Occupier W Watford, who worked at Strawberry Hill farm and whose wages were 2/4 per week. His accommodation was identical to that of F B Wrench
- Occupier Mrs Cox. Her rent was also 2/4 per week and her accommodation was identical to that of F B Wrench
- Occupier L M Hodby. His rent was three shillings per week and he worked for Joseph Pike. His accommodation was identical to that of F Clark.