1 and 2 Strawberry Hill Cottages Knotting
1-2 Strawberry Hill Cottages April 2015
1 and 2 Strawberry Hill Cottages were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. They were built at the same time, 1868, as the farm by Lord of the Manor, the Duke of Bedford. They are somewhat different in external design to the traditional Bedford Estate Cottages, built of red brick with a blue brick band at window level and have old clay tiled roofs. They comprise one storey with attics.
The cottages were in the same ownership as Strawberry Hill Farm well into the 20th century. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages, in 1927, found that both were owned by Edward Harry Horrell of Strawberry Hill Farm [DV1/C1/21-22].
The cottage to the north was occupied by A Smith whose rent had been 2/9 per week since 1919. His accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and scullery and two bedrooms upstairs. Outside stood a barn and an earth closet. The valuer commented: “Quite fair Cottages … very low roofs”. Next door was T Smith whose rent was deducted from his wages; he was a cowman at Strawberry Hill Farm. His accommodation was identical to that of his neighbour.