Little Pyghtle Keysoe
Little Pyghtle March 2016
The cottage now called Little Pightle (a pightle is, itself, a little field) was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to the 18th century; it is timber-framed with colour-washed plaster infill and a 20th century asbestos roof with clay ridge cresting. The cottage comprises one storey and attics and has a 20th century extension forming the north-eastern bay. There is also a single storey addition to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valure visiting the cottage [DV1/C213/7] found that it belonged to B Hartop and was tenanted by Mrs L Stewart who paid rent of 1/6 per week. The cottage, a “very poor place”, in the opinion of the valuer, comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above.