Lavender Cottage Keysoe
Lavender Cottage March 2016
Lavender Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to around 1700 and it is timber-framed with colour-washed roughcast render and a thatched roof. It comprises one storey and attics. The thatched porch is 20th century and there is a 20th century one storey and attics addition at the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C213/11] found that it was owned by G Hartop and occupied by J Cunnington who paid rent of £5 per annum for a parlour, a living room and a kitchen with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “Fair”.
In 2009 the cottage was for sale and the particulars [Z449/2/9] described a porch, a hall, a dining room, a kitchen/breakfast room, a utility room, a WC, a central hallway/family room, a study and a sitting room with four bedrooms (one en-suite), a shower room and an attic room above. A garage and office stood outside.