Glebe Cottage Keysoe
Glebe Cottage March 2016
Glebe Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to about 1700 and is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame and has a thatched roof. The building comprises one storey and has a single storey lean-to extension to the south elevation.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C211/126] found it was owned by Miss Meadows and occupied by W Meadows who paid no rent. The property stood in just over a third of an acre
The cottage contained a living room used as a bedroom, a kitchen and a small washhouse, with a bedroom in the roof. A wood and thatched store barn and a hen house both stood outside. The valuer commented: “Clean and neat”. In 1930 W Meadows made an application for planning permission to extend the cottage [RDBP1/1376].