Corner House Keysoe
Corner House March 2016
Corner House was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the property to the 18th century and it is timber-frame, mostly covered in colour-washed roughcast though some of the timber is exposed to the north-west elevation. The cottage comprises one storey and attics and has a lean-to extension at the south-west gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C211/143] found that it was owned by J Stewart and occupied by E Stapleton, no rent is listed. The cottage comprised three living rooms, a kitchen and a dairy and had three bedrooms upstairs. Interestingly, at that date the cottage was thatched.