Corner Cottage Keysoe
Corner Cottage March 2016
Corner Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century and is built of cob (a mixture of clay, water and a bonding agent such as straw), faced with colour-washed brick and has a thatched roof. It comprises one storey and attics and originally had two rooms downstairs. There is a one-storey extension to the west gable end which is weather- boarded, and at the time of the listing had a corrugated iron roof, now replaced with pantiles.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1C/211/59] found that it was owned and occupied by J Ruff. The cottage comprised a small living room, a larger living room, a kitchen and had two bedrooms upstairs. Three sheds or barns stood outside.