Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Kempston Hardwick > The Chimney Corner Public House Kempston Hardwick

The Chimney Corner Public House Kempston Hardwick

The Chimney Corner Public House October 2007
The Chimney Corner Public House October 2007

The Chimney Corner Public House: Bedford Road, Kempston Hardwick

This public house was built in 1935 when the new parish of Stewartby was being created. Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service has very little information on the establishment which, at the time of writing [2007] is still a public house. 

Sources:

  • RDBP2/672: plans for new public house: 1935;
  • Z1205/206: tape of reminiscences by woman whose father built the public house: 1935;
  • RDBP3/129: plans of a new garage: 1939;
  • Z1205/023: tape of reminiscences by Italian prisoner-of-war living in hostel on site: 1942.
  • PSB9/2: register of licenses: c.1955-1995;
  • Z1105/1: liquor licence traders survey form: 1960;
    PCStewartby: 18/4: planning application for new conservatory: 1984 

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1959: P. F. Raes;
1960: Hubert Crowsley;
1965-1968: Hubert Crowsley and Walter John Alsford;
1968-1969: Hubert Crowsley and James Herron;
1969-1970: Hubert Crowsley and Roy Robinson Pipkin
1970: Hubert Crowsley and John Valentine Hughes;
1970-1971: Hubert Crowsley and Walter John Smith;
1971: Hubert Crowsley and Cyril Charles Wallis;
1971-1974: Hubert Crowsley and Robert Eric Andrews;
1974-1976: Hubert Crowsley and John Franklin;
1976-1977: Richard Rawson Wolstenholme Hancock and John Franklin;
1977-1995: John Colin Tait