Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Kempston > The Manor of Kempston Stafford

The Manor of Kempston Stafford

The Hillersden family arms
The Hillersden family arms

Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1912 and contains histories of each of the manors in Kempston. Thomas Stafford held this manor in the 15th century. He was from Tattenhoe in Buckinghamshire. He conveyed the manor to his nephew William Stafford and Jane, his wife.

The Stafford family held the manor until 1563 when Thomas Stafford alienated it to Thomas Ashfield. After this there is no mention of the manor until 1685 when it was owned by Guy Hillersden of Elstow. Michael Hillersden held it in 1720 after which there is no further mention of it.