The Constitutional Club Kempston
The Constitutional Club May 2012
The Constitutional Club was formerly called the Conservative Club. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the Constitutional Club at 194 Bedford Road [DV1/R25/33] found that the managers paid rent of £58 per annum, set in 1920.
The “Well Built” premises comprised a bar measuring 10 feet 6 inches by 14 feet, a landing, a billiard room, with two tables, measuring 30 feet by 20 feet, a lavatory (in the sense of a place to wash) and a W. C. as well as an office measuring 12 feet by 7 feet 6 inches and a room measuring 12 feet by 10 feet. The first floor comprised bedrooms measuring 11 feet by 6 feet 6 inches, 11 feet by 13 feet 6 inches, and two measuring 11 feet by 10 feet 6 inches respectively, as well as a concert room measuring 40 feet by 23 feet. Two small attics were unused. There was also a basement comprising a kitchen measuring 10 feet by 11 feet, a scullery, a boot store, a bar cellar and a pantry.
Accounts reveal that sales of beer, wine, spirits, minerals and tobacco had brought in £1,725/8/4, members’ subscriptions came to £51/14/-, hiring the billiard table £47/6/2, hiring playing cards £2/2/8 and visitors’ fees £1/12/3. After all expenses the club made a profit of £38/8/4.