Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Kempston > Sources for education in Kempston

Sources for education in Kempston

General

- SB23/1-12: School Board records: 1876-1903;
- E/IN1/1: Inspector's reports: 1911-1939;
- CTM17/118: mortgage for school building: 1913;
- CTM17/120: mortgage for school building: 1914;
- SMM11: school managers' minutes for Kempston group of primary schools: 1924-1974;
- CTM17/73: mortgage for school building: 1926;
- CTM17/102: mortgage for school building: 1930;
- SGM20: Governors' minutes for Kempston group of secondary schools: 1947-1973;
- TCKempston26/1: letter regarding educational provision in Kempston: 1979;
- TCKempston26/2: effect of budget cuts on education in Kempston: 1980-1981;
- E/TE3/4: return of teaching staff for each school: 1981;
- E/TE3/7: return of teaching staff for each school: 1986;
- E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details for each school: c.1987

Picture of Balliol Lower School Kempston undergoing repair in September 2007

Balliol County Primary/Lower School

This school was created in the early 1950s and named after John Balliol, King of Scotland who was also Lord of the Manor of Kempston Daubeney.

- CA8/560: building maintenance file: 1964-1979;
- E/TE3/4: return of teaching staff: 1981;
- E/TE3/7: return of teaching staff: 1986;
- E/PG2/1/1: details of nursery provision: 1986;
- E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details: c.1987;
- E/Pu4/4/72: prospectus: 1995;
- HT13/2/11: Harpur Trust grant to school: 1999

Drawing of the north elevation of Bedford Road Council Girls school

Bedford Road Board/Council Girls' School

- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/2: Inspector's annual reports: 1879-1902;
- SDKempstonUpEnd6/1: duplicate returns: 1881-1928;
- SDKempstonUpEnd4/1: school logbook: 1896-1922;
- X768/2: photograph of class no.3: c.1900;
- UDKP300: plans for extension: 1911

Picture of the Old Bedford Road Lower School

Bedford Road Council Junior Mixed/County Primary Junior/Lower School

- Z377/3-4: photographs of school group: c.1944-1945;
- CA8/263: building maintenance file: 1966-1975;
- CA8/1008: building maintenance file: 1975-1984;
- CA10/9: maintenance contract - taking down redundant chimney stacks: 1980;
- CA10/24: maintenance contract - external repairs: 1980;
- CA10/29: maintenance contract - demolition work: 1980;
- E/PM6/2/4: school opposition to abolition of corporal punishment: 1985-1986;
- Z311/16: Bedford Road Lower School 1889-1989

Picture of Camestone Lower School

Camestone Lower School

This school was created in 1977 as a replacement for Up End Lower School, which had been burned down; it was named after the name by which Kempston appears in the Domesday Book of 1086:

- CA2/901: file on construction of school: 1974-1982;
- SDKempstonCamestone1/1: school logbook: 1977-1990;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for Section 11 funded posts at school: 1980s

Picture of Daubeney Middle School

Daubeney Middle School

This school was created in 1972 and is named after the Manor of Kempston Daubeney, created out of the Manor of Kempston in 1237.

- CA2/371: Phase I building file: 1967-1975;
- CA2/720: Phase II extensions building file: 1965-1979;
- CA8/718: building maintenance file: 1972-1981;
- PY/PH132/1: photographs of school exterior: 1973;
- CA15/26: building file on South Orbital Sewer: 1976-1977;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for Section 11 funded posts at school: 1980s;
- TCKempston26/3: correspondence regarding fencing school grounds: 1981;
- E/OL1/1/6: headteacher's opinion on value of exchange visits with schools in Cyprus: 1983;
- E/MS2/1/4: variation of lunchtime arrangements: 1985;
- E/ME6/1/1: details of monitoring scheme for Section 11 funded posts: 1986-1988;
- E/TE2/2/M/18: details on school: 1987;
- E/PM1/3/2: statistics on transfer/allocation of pupils from lower schools: 1987;
- E/Pu4/4/50: prospectus: 1995;
- HT13/1/3: photograph of interior of food science laboratory: 1996/7

Picture of The Grange Special School

The Grange ESN/Special School

This school was created in the early 1960s on the site of the house of the same name:

- PY/PH6/1-7: photographs of interior and exterior of school: 1962-1975;
- CA2/89: building file for new classrooms: 1964;
- CA8/154: building maintenance file: 1966-1972;
- SS/HD1/1/1: correspondence file regarding pupils going to riding classes at Park Hospital, Mogerhanger: 1970-1992;
- CA2/257: building file for changing rooms: 1971;
- CA2/461: building file: 1971-1977;
- E/SE2/1/2: file of brief notes of visits to school by LEA staff and advisers: 1971-1987;
- CA2/581: building file for extension: 1973-1981;
- CA8/965: building maintenance file: 1973-1983;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for Section 11 funded posts at school: 1980s
- E/EP1/1: possible use of school premises by Education Psychology Service: 1984;
- HT13/2/11: Harpur Trust grant to school: 1999

Picture of Greys House school taken in July 2007

Greys House Special School

This school was created in 1975 and named after the Manor of Kempston Greys, the alternative name for the Manor of Kempston Hastingsbury after 1389:

- E/SE2/3/1: administration file on school: 1975-1983;
- CA8/959: building maintenance file: 1977-1984;
- E/TE2/2/5/4: details on school: 1983;
- E/Pu4/5/20: notes for parents on educational provision and admission arrangements: 1987

Picture of Hastingsbury Upper School taken in July 2007

Hastingsbury Upper School

This school was created in 1970 and was named after the Manor of Kempston Hastingsbury, created from the Manor of Kempston in 1237:

- CA2/321: building file: 1962-1975;
- SGM21: Governors' minutes: 1969-1973;
- E/SA1/4/4: comprehensive reorganisation and creation of school: 1969-1976;
- X494/64/2: newspaper cutting book mentions opening of school: 1970;
- CA2/393: Phase III building file: 1970-1976;
- PY/PH52/1-3: photographs of exterior of school: 1971-1975;
- CA8/434: building maintenance file: 1971-1978;
- photograph in Bedfordshire Magazine Vol.XIII p.155: 1972;
- CA2/556: building file for swimming pool, animal house and petrol store: 1973-1976;
- PCKempstonRural26/4: correspondence regarding joint use of school facilities: 1975;
- CA2/609: building file for conversion of lecture theatre to laboratory: 1977-1978;
- E/SE2/4/1: Ridgeway Special School file regarding pupils attending classes at Hastingsbury Upper School: 1977-1985;
- Z160/263: Inter Com magazine of Hastingsbury Community College: 1977;
- CA8/742: building maintenance file: 1978-1982;
- E/SC3/Gen24: working papers regarding proposal that school receive pupils from Fulbrook Middle School, Aspley Guise: 1980-1981;
- TCKempston26/4: proposal for daytime use of Hastingsbury Community College: 1981-1982;
- Z117/48: Order of Service for thanksgiving for life of deputy headteacher Neil Lumsden: 1981;
- Z117/49: Order of Service for funeral of former headteacher Alan Greenhalgh: 1982;
- CA8/934: building maintenance file: 1982-1984;
- CA10/77: file of resurfacing of play area: 1983;
- E/OL1/6/1: participation in schools foreign exchange: 1984;
- TCKempston26/5: proposed adult training centre at school: 1984;
- TCKempston26/6: grant for music project: 1985;
- E/CU3/13/6: establishment of pre-vocational courses: 1985;
- E/Pu4/4/34: prospectus: 1995;
- Z923/10/13: poser for careers convention: 1996;
- HT13/2/12: Harpur Trust grant to school: 1999

Kempston National Infants/St.John's Board Infants'/Bedford Road Board Infants'/Bedford Road Council Infants' School

- SDKempstonUpEnd1/1: printed notice regarding foundation of school: 1854;
- SDKempstonUpEnd1/2: school logbook: 1863-1899;
- SDKempstonUpEnd6/1: duplicate returns: 1881-1928;
- Z808/3/1: Hoo Estate sale catalogue including Board schoolroom adjoining St.John's church: 1884;
- SDKempstonUpEnd1/3: school logbook: 1899-1928;
- CTM17/109: mortgage for enlargement of premises: 1912;
- CTM17/119: mortgage for enlargement of premises: 1914

Picture of Robert Bruce Middle School

Kempston Senior Council/County Secondary Modern/Robert Bruce County Secondary Modern/Robert Bruce Middle School

This school was named after the first Lord of the Manor of Kempston Brucebury, created from the Manor of Kempston in 1237 and after his great-great-grandson, Robert Bruce, King of Scotland, who was also Lord of the Manor until stripped of it by Edward I:

- SDKempstonRB1/1: admissions register: 1928-1943;
- CA2/7: building contract and file: 1951-1957;
- SDKempstonRB2/2-5: summary registers: 1952-1967;
- SDKempstonRB3/1-3: returns of teachers: 1952-1957;
- E/YM7/11/3: use of school premises by 1st Kempston Company, Girls' Life Brigade: 1959-1982;
- CA2/153: building file: 1961-1967;
- CA2/220: building maintenance file: 1966
- CA2/221: building file - construction of swimming pool: 1966-1968;
- CA2/282: building file - extension (middle conversion block): 1967-1972;
- CA8/96: building maintenance file: 1967-1971;
- CA8/267: building maintenance file: 1971-1975;
- CA2/863: building file - youth annexe and canoe centre: 1972-1981;
- E/SE2/3/1: disagreement over attachment of Greys' House Special School to Robert Bruce Middle School: 1975;
- CA8/582: building maintenance file: 1976-1980;
- CA10: roof resurfacing and insulation: 1980-1981;
- CA8/943: building maintenance file: 1980-1984;
- E/SC3/Gen24: working papers regarding proposal to transfer older pupils solely to Hastingsbury Upper School rather than allowing them to transfer to Wootton Upper School: 1980-1981;
- E/MS2/4/1: open day for School Meals Service at school: 1981;
- E/PM3/2/4: information on travellers' children at school: 1982-1987;
- E/Pu4/4/36: prospectus: 1995

Picture of Ridgeway School taken in July 2007

Ridgeway Special School

This school opened in 1974 and is named after the large open field which lay in the vicinity until broken up during the Inclosure of Kempston in 1804:

- CA2/580: school building file: 1970-1982;
- E/SA2/4/1: administration file: 1974-1985;
- CA8/1040: building maintenance file: 1976-1984;
- E/SE2/4/1: Ridgeway Special School file regarding pupils attending classes at Hastingsbury Upper School: 1977-1985;
- PY/PH53/1: photographs of interior and exterior of school: 1978;
- SS/DL1/3/1: correspondence regarding provision for visually impaired children: 1985-1991;
- E/TE2/2/S/5: details of school: 1986;
- E/PS1/1/4: correspondence file regarding possible Harpur Trust financial help for Ridgeway pupils attending Kielder Activity Centre: 1989-1990

Picture of Saint John's special school

Saint John's Special School

This school opened in the 1970s and is named after the Hospital of St.John which was a major landowner locally:

- CA2/769: building file - swimming pool etc.: 1974-1979;
- CA8/1036: building maintenance file: 1979-1984;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for Section 11 funded posts at school: 1980s;
- CA10/22: heating installation file: 1980-1982;
- E/SE2/2/1: proposals to transfer pupils aged 16+ from Sunnyside Special School, Biggleswade to school: 1983;
- E/TE2/2/S/6: details of school: 1984;
- SS/HD2/1/4: correspondence including training for school leavers: 1986-1992;
- E/ME2/2/1: staff list and agenda of staff meeting on multicultural education: 1988-1989;
- E/PS1/1/4: possible Harpur Trust financial assistance for pupils wishing to attend Kielder Activity Centre: 1989-1990;
- SS/HD2/1/1: correspondence file including information on provision for school leavers: 1991-1992;
- CCE2814/11-12: vesting deed and transfer regarding completion of grant maintained status of school: 1997

Picture of Springfield Lower School

Springfield County Primary/Lower School

This school opened in the late 1960s and is named after a field in the vicinity before the inclosure of Kempston in 1804:
- CA2/294: building file: 1964-1971;
- CA2/290: building file: 1967-1973;
- CA8/942: building maintenance file: 1970-1984;
- E/ME6/1/5: applications for Section 11 funded posts at school: 1980s;
- E/MS2/1/3: O&M study of lunchtime supervision: 1983;
- E/PM6/2/4: school opposition to abolition of corporal punishment: 1985-1986;
E/TE2/2/L/45: details of school: 1989;
- E/ME7/7/1: letter from headmistress enthusing about visit of professional Indian dancer to school: 1989;
- HT13/2/12: Harpur Trust grant to school: 1999

 Scale drawing of Up End school

Up End National/Board Junior School

- Bedfordshire Times article on tenders invited for school and school house: 4 Mar 1854;
- CRT130Kem42: Up End School 1854-1992;
- P60/1/5: notes on erection of schools with accounts and subscription lists: 1854;
- AD3865/23: plans of school and school house: 1854;
- SDKempstonUpEnd1/1: printed notice regarding foundation of school: 1854;
- Bedfordshire Times article on service held in unfinished school: 13 Jan 1855;
- Z278/1: arithmetic book of pupil: 1857;
- P60/1/5: memorandum with details of management and accounts of subscriptions for enlargement: 1858;
- X254/76: printed annual report: 1862;
- CRT130Kem29: photocopy of sampler done by a pupil: 1863;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/1/1: school logbook: 1865-1876;
- CRT160/140 p.502: "Up to two years ago the Wesleyans were not admitted to the Kempston school unless they would attend the church Sunday School": 1867;
- Z808/1/1 and Z50/142/374: group photograph: 1869;
- AD3865/23: plans for extension: 1871;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/2/1-2: admission registers: 1872-1884;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/1: duplicate examination schedules: 1874-1895;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/2/2-3: admissions registers: 1875-1899;
- STuncat74: deed: 1876;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/1/2: school logbook: 1876-1896;
- SDKempstonUpEnd3/2: boys' evening school examination schedule: 1877-1902;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/2: Inspector's annual returns: 1879-1902;
- SDKempstonUpEnd6/1: duplicate returns: 1881-1928;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/3: duplicate managers' returns: 1881-1882;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/4: general correspondence: 1882-c.1900;
- SDKempstonUpEnd3/1: annual inspector's reports of boys' evening school: 1890-1901;
- SDKempstonUpEnd3/3: annual inspector's reports for girls' evening school: 1890-1895;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/5: duplicate examination schedules: 1891-1897;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/6: proficiency schedules: 1894-1897;

Up End Board Boys'/Council Boys' School

- SDKempstonUpEnd6/1: duplicate returns: 1876-1903;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/2: Inspector's annual returns: 1879-1902;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/2/3: admissions register: 1881-1928;
- SDKempstonUpEnd2/3/5: duplicate examination schedules: 1891-1897;
- Z808/1/9 and Z50/67/11: school class copy photograph: 1895;
- SDKempstonUpEnd5/1: school logbook: 1896-1928

 Drawing of exterior of Up End school

Up End Council Junior Mixed/County Primary Junior/County Primary Infants' School

- SDKempstonUpEnd7/1/1: school logbook: 1928-1964;
- SDKempstonUpEnd7/2/1: admissions register: 1928-1947;
- CA8/147: building maintenance file: 1947-1966;
- SDKempstonUpEnd7/3/1-3: summary registers: 1948-1962;
- SDKempstonUpEnd8/2/1: attendance register: 1961-1969;
- SDKempstonUpEnd8/1/1: school logbook: 1964-1976;
- CA8/633: building maintenance file: 1966-1979;
- CA8/188: building maintenance file for new classroom: 1971;
- FSD/PC17: newspaper reports of fire at school, with photographs: 1975