Daleys Social Club Kempston
Daley's Social Club May 2012
Daley’s Social Club began life as the Kempston Liberal Club, built in 1911 to the designs of E. Jones [UDKP292]. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the Liberal Club, as it then was [DV1/R25/34] found that the “Well Built” premises comprised a bar measuring 14 feet square and a one table billiard room measuring 18 feet by 24 feet. Upstairs was a concert room measuring 21 feet by 40 feet.
There was also living accommodation for the club manager. This comprised a parlour, living room and scullery on the ground floor with two bedrooms, a W. C. and a lavatory (in the sense of a place to wash) upstairs. The entry has been amended to show that the lavatory was later removed and transferred to the barn. Outside stood the aforementioned barn, brick and tile built and including a W. C. There was also a cycle shed and a beer cellar.
Bar takings for 1925 were £2,618, other income being £52 from hiring the billiard table, £35 from subscriptions and entrance fees and £19 from sub-letting. The beer, wine and spirits had cost £1,778, tobacco £347, minerals £27 and excise duty £5 leaving a profit of £567.