Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Ireland Rowney > New Rowney Farm

New Rowney Farm

front of New Rowney Farmhouse 1982
Front of New Rowney Farmhouse 1982 Z50-106-26

In 1927 Southill was valued under the 1925 Rating Valuation Act; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting New Rowney Farm [DV1/C/32/17-21] noted that the owner Bedfordshire County Council. The council had purchased the farm in 1919 as part of its smallholdings portfolio. The farm buildings were divided between three tenants
 rear of New Rowney Farmhouse 1982
Rear of New Rowney Farmhouse 1982 [Z50/106/27]

The first tenant was the appropriately named A.Field, who inhabited a house in 1.031 acres. The house was constructed of brick and tile and comprised a parlour, kitchen, scullery, pantry, "large" Hall, four bedrooms upstairs and a "wash-house at back". Another brick and tile house, in 1.030 acres, was occupied by F.J.Rook and comprised a parlour, kitchen, dairy, three bedrooms upstairs, an attic and a box room.

 New Rowney Farm on valuation map
New Rowney Farm on valuation map

The homestead buildings were lettered as seen on the plan above. They were tenanted and described as follows:

  • A - a wash-house in occupation of A.Field;
  • B - brick and corrugated iron stabling, a chaff house and granary in occupation of F.J.Rook;
  • C- a small wood and thatch open shed, a cow shed for four beasts and four pigsties in occupation of F.J.Rook;
  • D - a barn and stables for four horses in occupation of F.J.Rook;
  • part of E - a large wood and thatch large and a two bay cart shed in occupation of A.Field;
  • part of E - a wood and thatch two bay cart shed in occupation of F.J.Rook;
  • part of E - a one bay open shed in occupation of A.Franklin;
  • F - a loose box and boiling house with copper in occupation of A.Field;
  • G - a three bay open shed, brick and tile stabling for five horses, a chaff house and store in occupation of A.Field;
  • part of H - a nag stable and two bay open shed in occupation of F.J.Rook;
  • part of H - a wood and thatch one bay open shed, chaff house and stabling for four horses in occupation of A.Franklin.

A partial list of tenants of New Rowney Farm prior to its division into smallholdings can be pieced together using directories - the dates are those the tenants are known to have been there rather than the full dates of their tenure:

  • Joseph Ibbs: 1869-1877;
  • Sarah and Susannah Ibbs: 1885-1890;
  • Astell Brothers: 1903-1914