2 Warden Road Ickwell
2 Warden Road April 2009
2 Warden Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century, noting that it was reworked in the 20th century. It is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame, with a clay tile roof, one storey and attics. The cottage now has an L-plan since a 20th century addition of a one storey and attics wing to the east. The listing comments: ”Included for group value”.
The cottage may have been built by the Harvey family, Lords of the Manor of Ickwell or the property may have been added to the manor, later referred to as the Ickwell Bury Estate, at a later date. It is certain that when the Ickwell Bury Estate was auctioned in 1924 2 Warden Road was included in the sale particulars [AD1147/16] which described it as follows:
Three Pairs of semi-detached Cottages
with Gardens situate on Ickwell Green
The Cottages are Brick Built and Tiled
and Let to R. BRUNT, R. WILLIAMS, Mrs. C. NORMAN, J. CLARKE, J. GARNER and W. WAGSTAFF on Yearly, October 11th, Tenancies.
Brunt and Williams occupied 2 Warden Road.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Ickwell was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property [DV1/C44/97-98] found that it was then divided into two. The building was owned by The Onyx Proeprty Investment Company Limited, the northern part of the house being vacant and the southern portion being occupied by R. Brunt.
Accommodation comprised a living room, combined kitchen and scullery and a bedroom above for both halves of the property. An earth closet and coal house stood outside each and each had a small garden. Water came from an outside tap. The valuer noted that Onyx had bought 2 Warden Road, 12, 13 and 14 Ickwell Green in the 1924 auction for £450.