Rectory Cottage Hulcote
Rectory Cottage January 2011
Rectory Cottage, a 19th century property, formerly two dwellings, stands near Hulcote church on the north side of the road to Salford. It seems to be the only old dwelling in Hulcote that is not a farm, a mill or a former rectory! The cottages belonged to the Lord of the Manor of Hulcote. The Smith family owned a half share in the lordship of the manor from the early 19th century into the 20th century.
In February 1919 the trustees under the will of Rev. Boteler Chernocke Smith together with Villiers Chernocke Smith sold the Hulcote Estate at auction. Rectory Cottage was Lot 6 and the sale particulars [X67/353] described it as follows:
A Pair of Semi-Detached Cottages
very substantially built of brick and tiled, standing on the High Road leading from Ridgmont to Salford.
In the respective occupations of Mr. George Sinfield and Mr. J. F. Odell, at a Weekly rental of 2s. each House
Each Cottage contains on the Ground Floor 2 Rooms and a Pantry, with 3 Rooms Upstairs
Outside is a Barn and earth Closet and there is a large garden attached to each House.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Rectory Cottage [DV1/A7/19-19a] found that it was then divided into two dwellings, both owned by Charles Denton.
The dwelling in the north-western part of the building was still occupied by John Frederick Odell who paid rent of three shillings per week. His accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and pantry with three bedrooms upstairs. A coal barn and earth closet stood outside. The other half was still in the occupation of George Sinfield and comprised a living room and parlour downstairs with three bedrooms above. His external accommodation comprised a coal barn, an earth closet and a pigsty.
The valuer made the same remarks for both properties: "Water laid on, lamps, sanitation earth" so despite water being laid on there was no mains sewerage and no electricity.