1 How End Road Houghton Conquest
1 How End Road February 2016
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 1 How End Road [HER 13759] notes that the cottage was built about 1700. It is timber-framed, with a thatched roof (done about 1980). Despite its age the property is not listed because, whilst the right-hand side is quite original the other side has been altered significantly. A brick front was added in the 19th century, which has now been colour-washed. The porch is 20th century.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage found that it was owned and occupied by Mrs Mary Gillett. The accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms above. Outside was a timber and tile barn and earth closet. Water came from a tank at the side of the road. The valuer commented: “Ought to be condemned”.