The George Inn Hockliffe
3 to 5 The Square February 2013
The first known reference to the George Inn dates from December 1706 when "Elizabeth, a child found at the sign of the George" was baptised. Sadly the foundling baby survived for only a few weeks and was buried at Hockliffe in February 1707. The George continued to trade as an inn for much of the remainder of the 18th century but was converted into cottages during the early 19th century when other cottages were built nearby. The George was probably the Grade II listed building which now constitutes 3 to 5 The Square [HER5335].