South View Hockliffe
South View March 2015
South View is situated on the east side of Watling Street to the north of the Leighton and Woburn Road junctions. The Heritage Environment Record describes it as a two storey nineteenth century building of yellow brick with a slate roof, three sash windows with glazing bars under red brick cutter flat arches. It has a four panel door with a rectangular fanlight, a surround of doric pilasters and a cornice [HER6417].
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. When Hockliffe was assessed in 1926 South View was owned and occupied by J. North. The house had a sitting room, parlour, kitchen and scullery downstairs, and five bedrooms upstairs. Outside there were a brick and slate coal barn, a brick and slate wash house which communicated with the house, and a weatherboard and corrugated iron shed used for wood. The valuer described the property as a "superior type villa" [DV1/C201/88].