Kings Arms Cottages Hockliffe
King's Arms Cottage February 2013
The property now known as Kings Arms Cottage dates from the 17th and 18th century but has been much altered. The Heritage Environment Record describes it as colourwashed roughcast, of two storeys, with an old clay tile roof, four bow windows with glazing bars, and two heavy gable end chimney stacks. [HER6576]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 ordered every piece of land and building in the country to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. When Hockliffe was assessed in 1927 this property was four separate cottages owned by E. Olney. Working from the south-easterly end of the row towards the north-west these brick and tile built terraced cottages were described as follows [DV1/C201/42-45]:
- Cottage 1. Downstairs: living room, kitchen, scullery. Upstairs: two bedrooms. Outside: part weatherboard and corrugated iron barn. Rented by J. Sharp for 6s. per week, the valuer commented "this seems an exorbitant rent as the remaining 3 houses in this block seem to be already rack-rented".
- Cottage 2. Downstairs: living room, scullery. Upstairs: two bedrooms. Outside: part of barn. Rented by P. Jiltrow for 3s per week. Valuer's comment: "the scullery is more a cupboard than a scullery – there is no sink. This seems a rack rent – the owner apparently does not live in the village."
- Cottage 3. As Cottage 2. Rented by Miss C. Godman for 3s per week.
- Cottage 4. As Cottage 2. Rented by A Higgs for 3s per week.
The four small cottages have since been combined into a single detached house.