Rushmere Manor Heath and Reach
Rushmere Manor May 2008
Rushmere Manor was never a manor house. The Manor of Heath and Reach, originally called the Manor of Gladley, later Nares Gladley, was centred in this part of the parish but not at this property. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It is an 18th century building built of grey brick with red brick facings and comprises two storeys and attics. The roof is made of clay tiles with stone gable coping.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting this property [DV1/C205/114] noted that it was owned by a man named Brantom but was unoccupied. Directories reveal that from at least 1931 to at least 1940 it was occupied by Captain Philip Spencer-Smith (retired).
The house stood in 0.843 acres and contained three reception rooms, a kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms and a bathroom ("not fitted with bath") above. Two attic rooms lay on the second floor. A brick and tile garage stood outside. The valuer commented: "Farm house type. ? whether converted into two again. Attractive. Not enough garden".