6 Lanes End Heath and Reach
6 Lanes End June 2008
When Heath and Reach was inclosed in 1841 Number 6 Lanes End, along with 8 and 10, was owned by Hezekiah Loke and the buildings stood in 2 roods 10 poles of land. Number 6 was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It is a 17th century building constructed of whitewashed brick and thatch and has one storey and attics. The structure is L shaped with a gable end to the road.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. The valuer visiting this property [DV1/C205/61] noted that it was owned by Mrs.Brantom and occupied by Mrs.Tompkins who paid 2/6 per week rent. It was then a simple property with a bedroom and living room downstairs with one bedroom in the roof. Outside was a barn. The valuer was not impressed. He commented: "Neglect. Awful place".