Albert Cottages - 8 and 10 Silver Street Great Barford
Albert Cottages - 8 and 10 Silver Street March 2010
Albert Cottages were built, so the date stone at the front tells us, in 1869 and are typical of mid-Victorian workers cottages. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value.
Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting Albert Cottages [DV1/C156/126-127]found them owned by G. W. Chapman who occupied one of the himself and rented the other to Mrs. Joseph Robinson for £8/20/- per annum. This had been much lower at £5/10/- “within memory”.
Accommodation comprised a parlour with a grate and a living room with a range with two bedrooms, one with a fireplace, above. A washhouse with a copper for heating water and a wood and coal barn lay outside along with a well. The valuer commented: “artisan” [type]. In 1959 owner Mrs. L. Geary applied for planning permission to extend both cottages [Z1169/8/4/21].