27 High Street Great Barford
27 High Street March 2010
27 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the early 17th century. It is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame with an old clay tile roof. The house has two storeys with attics and a substantial later addition to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 27 High Street [DV1/C125/140] found it was the village post office, owned and occupied by Robert Lawrance. It had moved to 27 High Street from 4 High Street in 1923 [X535/5]
The property stood in just over a third of an acre. The original part of the house contained a kitchen with a range, measuring 15 feet by 16 feet, a passage measuring 8 feet 6 inches by 10 feet and the shop measuring 15 feet by 17 feet with a bedroom measuring 15 feet by 16 feet above. The new part (“lovely”) comprised two reception rooms and a hall with two bedrooms and a boxroom above. A washhouse and a large wood and tiled malting barn with a loft over “now used as store” stood outside, along with a garage. A further acre and a half went with the property. The valuer commented: “Very nice property”.
In 1930 the post office moved to the property adjoining to the north - 25 High Street. It remained there until at least 1949 when the Great Barford Women's Institute scrapbook [X535/5] was being compiled. Today  the post office is at 8 to 10 High Street.
The Post Office at The Maltings 1923-1930 [X535/5]