106 Green End Road Great Barford
106 Green End Road in 1960 [Z53/5/14]
106 Green End Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century “with 19th century additions and alterations”. It is built of colour washed roughcast “apparently over brick” and has an old clay tile roof. The house comprises two storeys and attics with a later two storey block to the rear and various red brick single storey additions.
In 1918 106 Green End Road was a farmhouse and was sold under the name of Green End Farm (confusingly today's Green End Farm was also sold in 1918). The farm was a lot in a sale of buildings and pieces of land in Great Barford and Roxton. Unfortunately the particulars [X65/101] do not mention the name of the person selling the estate but at the Domesday Survey of 1910, designed to find ways of financing David Lloyd-George’s radical 1909 Budget, the owner was given as the executors of Lady Powers
In 1918 the tenant, John Rudd Green, paid £40 per annum rent for the farmhouse, homestead and 56 acres, 1 rood, 30 poles of land. The particulars read as follows:
THE HOUSE is built of Brick and Tiled and contains Hall, Sitting Room, Small Room, Kitchen with range, Back Passage, capital Dairy, Scullery with copper and sink, Coal and Wood Barn, a Fine Old Staircase, 3 Good Bedrooms on the First Floor, and 2 Rooms on the Second Floor.
A VERY PRODUCTIVE GARDEN
THE FARM PREMISES which are chieflty built of Brick and tiled roofs comprise Detached Granary, Workshop, 2 Pigstyes, Feeding Passage, Loose Box, Cow House for 3 cows, Loose Box, Large Barn with lean-to porch, Chaff House, Stabling for 4 horses, a 6-bay Open Shed on iron piers with stone bases and fitted manger, a Timber and Tiled Lean-to Shed at end of Barn, also a Large Detached Loose Box near Road with Loft over.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 106 Green End Road [DV1/H13/52] found it was a farmhouse, owned and occupied by John Rudd Green, who had bought it at the sale ten years before. By 1927 the farm comprised 81 acres and the valuer reported that Green “thinks is a poor farm”.
The house itself comprised a drawing room, a dining room, a kitchen and scullery and butler’s pantry (“not used”) with thee bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “Old property, lot of waste space”. There was no lighting.
The brick and tile built homestead comprised: a granary; a tool house; three piggeries; two loose boxes; a barn wit ha dirt floor; a five stall stable; a six bay hovel; two further piggeries; a cart shed; a cow hovel with a loft over and an implement shed used as a garage.
106 Green End Road October 2010